The Multiversal Role Play Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Multiversal Role Play Forum

A forum where everyone can role play in whatever universe they wish. One can even make up their own universe, and invite others to play in it.

An old Mass Effect RP Featuring River and Zorah. For the sake of getting an idea of Zorah's Character.

Werekitty39501
    Werekitty39501
    Admin

An old Mass Effect RP Featuring River and Zorah.  For the sake of getting an idea of Zorah's Character. Empty An old Mass Effect RP Featuring River and Zorah. For the sake of getting an idea of Zorah's Character.

Post by Werekitty39501 Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:36 am

Werekitty39501 wrote:Zorah T'Mallus had been on Earth for about two years, now. Exploring the countries, starting with Japan, rather than the traditional "Face of Terra" America. She rather disliked the megaplexes of America. They lacked charm, character, and was over-commercialized. Reminded Zorah of Illium, to be honest, and she was never a big fan of Illium.

This time, her wanderings had taken her to Girona Spain. There was a fairly large gathering of Romani, here, and she was curious about how they were different from the other bands she's been meeting all over Europe. However this was where the young Asari ran into trouble. A band she fell in with, before she got to the actual city were a nice bunch, but just as they arrived, there were a series of thefts, and Zorah's new friends got the blame. Typical, but Zorah was sure her friends were innocent, but as an alien, her word didn't carry much weight.

Zorah tried to explain that it could not have been her friends, but it was to no avail. Gypsies were thieves, will always be thieves, and you can trust them about as much as you could trust those tricksy aliens... No offense.

Zorah, of course, decided to investigate on her own. And that's where her trouble started.
    Frith Ra wrote:As River walked down the street she heard the sound of common folk muttering in an array of languages. The most prominent was Spanish, but every once in awhile she could catch a phrase or two of German, French, even Italian. It wasn't at all surprising however. It was the time of year when the tourists were out in force, and Earth was now finally beginning to become the cultural melting pot it was supposed to be since humanity became a space-faring species.

Little children ran past her laughing and playing, while annoyed mothers called out to them. There was something about this city that River was kind of starting to like. It wasn't like other places she had been to, where the activity was either dangerous or the typical metropolitan bustle that could be easily predicted. This city had character, a personality all it's own. She enjoyed the change in scenery more than she would probably let on.

For her last day here she pondered what she should do. After all, she'd be boarding her vessel out tomorrow afternoon to pursue the next contract, there had to be something worthwhile to do or see. As she thought about where to go she found herself walking down an alleyway to a less crowded street.
    Werekitty39501 wrote:Zorah's breath wheezed through her clenched teeth, as she ran like heck from the local thugs that were chasing her. Luckily she had learned about Parkour and Freerunning during her time on Earth, and was finding the landscape of Girona to be perfect for such an activity. She was also thanking the Goddess for the simple fact that her pursuers were more interested in getting some blue booty than eliminating a witness, so no guns had come into play just yet.

As it turned out, Zorah was better at investigation than she thought. It's amazing what an understanding of other cultures did for one's ability to find and put together information. The young Asari discovered that a local gang of hooligans had been doing the robberies, and the short-sighted police had, of course, placed the blame on the outsiders. Probably because the son of one of the main police officials was a member of the gang. She was caught, trying to get some evidence against the gang, but thanks to the myth of blue girls being easy, she was still alive.

Just running for her life through the narrow cobblestone streets of Girona Spain. Where the thugs had to stop to go above or around an obstacle, she just flowed over. She was getting tired, though, and saw a human woman, looking a touch startled, as she ran past a side-street.
    Frith Ra wrote:As the asari ran past River, she realized there was a group of men after her, and they did not look friendly. Normally she'd stay out of matters that didn't concern her but she knew how her own species acted. Sometimes people were complete animals and they probably had some ulterior motive for the blue woman.

She glanced over the Asari's pursuers as they started to close in. A quick count revealed there were about five men chasing her. She couldn't just let them take advantage of someone like that, so she decided it was time to intervene. Stepping closer to the pathway of the man leading the group, she stuck her arm out right as he was about to pass her and locked it, causing him to run full-speed into it and get knocked off his feet. As he landed hard on his back from River's clothesline maneuver, the others skidded to a halt. One of the men yelled out in Spanish at her, but she didn't really care to try and understand it.

"Now boys, it's not nice to chase scared ladies around." she said with a smirk.
    Werekitty39501 wrote:Zorah skidded to a stop, at hearing the angry shout in Spanish. She turned around and saw a young woman standing between her and the gang of toughs. She was a most unusual human, with dark blue hair, and... excessively weighted in the chest area. Best to concentrate on the blue hair, because she's bound to get all sorts of comments about the bust from the thugs. Apparently she clotheslined the bloke in the lead, sending him flat on his back. And Zorah figured that was what caused the angry shouting.

"Now boys, it's not nice to chase scared ladies around." she said in English. A language the Asari hadn't heard since Japan. Well not precisely English, but more Engrish, but still this human woman was coming to her aid.

"They're... thieves," Zorah panted out in English. "Stole from town... Blamed gypsies."
    Frith Ra wrote:River glanced over slightly as the Asari explained the situation briefly as she gasped for air. The blue haired woman simply nodded and turned her attention back to the thugs. "I'd suggest you leave her alone, unless you want a fight on your hands." One of the man shouted a series of obscenities in Spanish, while the leader finally started to get up and yelled at them to keep back in English. He turned to River, his eyes showing his obvious anger. "Look here." he said with a heavy Spanish accent.

"This blue bitch isn't welcome in our turf. She's going to damage our cred."

River's eyes narrowed. "Should have thought about that before you decided to try and frame innocent people. I won't let you harm her."

The leader of the group yelled at the others in Spanish this time, but River knew he was ordering the attack. Ready for the conflict she raised her fists and positioned her feet into a defensive stance. Reflecting on her hand-to-hand training she received while in the Alliance, she carefully watched as the first man swung forward towards her. Immediately she saw the flaw in his attack and easily manipulated his momentum to knock him off balance and flip him over onto the ground. The next of the thugs came at her with a side kick, but with a simple sidestep she weaved around him like the wind and aimed a punch at his side. The fight continued with River's experience proving to have the upper hand against the thugs sloppy street fighting styles. So far it looked like she'd make quick work of them soon enough.
    Werekitty39501 wrote:Zorah had finally caught her breath, and stood a little to the side. She watched the thugs for any deceptive or underhanded behavior, because gangs like this, no matter what planet, never played fair. She had heard the blue-haired human woman declare that she would not allow the gang to harm the Asari, and called the gypsies "innocent" unlike the most people, here, who would automatically assume the gypsies had framed the thugs. Insular prats.

Just as Zorah expected, one of the thugs had used the ever-present alleys of this old river-side town to try and flank the blue-haired woman.

"Allon-ZE!" T'Mallus yelled, sending the young Spaniard flying.
    Frith Ra wrote:"Allon-ZE!"

River heard the cry as she saw one of the thugs go flying past her surrounded in the bright energy that was unmistakably a mass effect field. "That's right" she said in her mind. "Asari are natural biotics." However her train of thought was cut short as the distraction was soon taken advantage of and she received a punch directly to her face, followed by another to her stomach. She stumbled back, now angered that she let herself become exposed like that. It was time to get serious.

As another attacker headed her way she ducked under his punch and lashed out with her fist towards his jaw, the force of it knocking him back and off his balance as she aimed a kick square at his chest causing him to fall down yelling in pain. The leader of the group was now getting impatient, and he yelled out again in Spanish as his hand reached behind him and he pulled out a concealed weapon. The hunk of folded metal soon unfolded into a heavy pistol which he aimed at River.

Spotting the weapon River decided she couldn't hold back any longer, and she reached out with her right hand. Despite there being a reasonable distance between them, a mysterious energy engulfed the gun and yanked it out of his grip. It went flying back into the man's face, causing a loud cracking noise as it broke his nose. The others dived in to attack River once more, but she was ready this time. Like a shock wave she sent the mass effect energy of her own biotics out towards them and knocked them all down. However the force of it was stronger than she had anticipated, and it took it's toll on her body. She felt fatigued, probably unable to do another attack like that. But thankfully it seemed to be all she needed. Beaten and broken, the thugs cried out obscenities and fled, leaving River and the mysterious blue Asari to their victory.

River smirked and turned to the Asari. "Well now, that wasn't so hard."
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"Yeah. Easy," Zorah panted, shaking her head. "For you maybe." Zorah looked over her rather tough rescuer, giving her the courtesy of skipping over the chest area. She was lean, muscular, and looked very capable of taking on small armies, let alone a gang of street toughs.

"So... Do you always rescue random aliens, or am I an isolated case?" Zorah asked.
    Frith Ra wrote:"Hey you were in trouble, I couldn't just let them catch you. I have a feeling it would've ended badly." River said as she crossed her arms. "Still, you don't see many Asari on Earth. What brings you all the way out here?"

River looked over the blue woman. Her clothing was certainly more lively than anything River herself wore, but more interesting were the partially visible tattoos. The artwork was impressive, and went surprisingly well with her skin tone. She noticed the unique nature of her eyes as well, different than most Asari she had seen on the Citadel. She was actually pretty cute.

Last edited by Werekitty39501 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed Title)
    Werekitty39501
    Werekitty39501
    Admin

An old Mass Effect RP Featuring River and Zorah.  For the sake of getting an idea of Zorah's Character. Empty Second Page

Post by Werekitty39501 Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:49 am

Werekitty39501 wrote:"Probably. I speak enough Spanish to know they definitely had less than savory plans for me, Zorah said. "They probably wanted the footage I got with my Omni Tool, too, because it proved that they were the actual thieves, and not the gypsies, that the whole town wanted to blame." She turned to the very capable woman and offered her hand, obviously familiar with Earth customs.

"I'm Zorah T'Mallus, and I'm an anthropologist."
    Frith Ra wrote:River took the Asari's hand and shook it firmly, offering a friendly smile. "River Althea, freelance mercenary." She took a step back when the handshake was completed. "So, an anthropologist huh? Guess that explains a few things. We humans are known to have a vast array of cultures and customs. Looks like you've been around though considering the clothes and the tattoos."
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"Japan has some amazing tattoo artists," Zorah said, pulling back her sleeve and showing her koi. "And you'd be amazed how many different places have a 'traveler' culture that is always blamed for theft, even when they are just passing through. I was traveling with a group of Romani when we had to stop for the night. And all of the sudden, the whole police force descended upon the camp, and demanded that they all surrender to police custody." Zorah sighed, and shook her head.

"Now mind you, there are a lot of Romani family groups that do run schemes to illegally get money from settled people, but not all of them are like that," Zorah added. "Just say 'gypsy' in some places, and you hear a long litany of their supposed crimes. So I try to exonerate my new friends, and I get in trouble, because I was long in heart and short on brain, in my planning."
    Frith Ra wrote:River nodded in understanding, knowing all too well that blame was often misplaced due to shady reputations. Her own past with her gang was proof of that. "I can understand your situation. Still, glad I was able to help. Might be safer if I stuck with you while you deliver the evidence. They might come back around and try to catch you on your own again."

She looked over the Koi tattoos while she was at it. "Very nice. The design is beautiful, and it goes well with your blue skin. Actually looks like they're in water."
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"The little guy I went to was pleased by the challenge," Zorah said with a grin. "And thanks. I don't know how well this evidence is going to go over, since the police chief's son is the head of the gang."

They started moving back toward downtown, getting out of the dark alleys to be safer.

"Figures they'd rather blame outsiders, than take care of their own dirty laundry, eh?" Zorah said shrugging. "Though, there are a lot of species who are like that. Not just humans."
    Frith Ra wrote:"True enough." River admitted as they walked along the road together. "Normally I don't get involved in local affairs but sometimes I can't help myself. The thought of those guys catching you and having their way with you... well I'd rather not have let that happen. My conscious would've driven me nuts." She sighs a little. "But let's not think about that. I got into this mess with you now it seems, so let's focus on getting your friends names cleared."

There was a few moments of silence as River pondered something in her mind. "I'm curious.. what lead you become an anthropologist? I've never met one that was an Asari before, seems a little unique."
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"It's a long and convoluted story. You see I'm one of those rare Asari who has a Quarian as a 'father'," Zorah said, looking a touch embarrassed. "I wanted to learn about Quarians, and discovered that a lot of council species, and a lot of non-council species, consider them no better than thieves, vagabonds, and generally worthless, even though they are so fantastic with machines."

"So this got me to wondering why the aversion to people who have no set home is so strong. I started with Asari, of course, but as it turns out, practically every council species has a derided 'traveler' class, who prefers to wander, rather than settle in one place," Zorah continued. "I got the formal education, and the recognition as a person who studies other cultures, to make traveling easier. I say I'm an anthropologist, and the booking people just roll their eyes. A lot of people become anthropologists to study 'party culture' of planets."
    Frith Ra wrote:River chuckled. "Party culture indeed. Not that I get to party much these days though. Nice excuse though. You seem to take it much more seriously however. Starting with one thing, moving on to learn about others that are similar. You're actually working, not just using it to skate by and have wild times."

They rounded the corner and found themselves at the local police station they were headed for. River headed over to the door and opened it for them. "After you." She said with an almost sly smirk.
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"Well yeah, but I've never been interested in 'wild times'. I'm too studious for a merc, and while I can dance, it's usually very BADLY. To use a popular Earth idiom, I have two left feet," Zorah said, entering the police station. She talked with a desk Sargent explaining what she found.

"<Pah. We've already run those filthy gypsies out of town. I can not imagine why you'd defend those animals. Your evidence means nothing," the Sargent said dismissing her. "<And why should we trust the word of an Asari, anyway? All you lot want to do is lead our young men astray, and into space, so you can have your lustful way with them.>"

"Ohyle," Zorah said actually physically facepalming.
    Frith Ra wrote:Although River had thankfully learned enough of other languages to know how the conversation was going, she still preferred her mother tongue to having to explain things in the native language whenever possible. So she stepped up to the police officer and looked at him very intently. "Speak English?" The officer merely nodded. "Sure, yeah." River smirked and cracked her knuckles.

"Good, then listen up meatbag. I risked my neck to help this young lady when she was being chased by thugs out to potentially rape her. I'm not interested in hearing your racist bullshit, I'm interested in hearing what you're going to do about it. Now these guys have very obviously been committing crimes and pinning them falsely on others. Just because you're too arrogant to know the culture behind these travelers doesn't mean you have the right to treat them like soiled rags and toss them out. Those are -people-, people you're supposed to extend protection and safety to. Now I'd suggest you either do your damn job or I'll escalate this up to your supervisor and have your ass busted down so far you'll be cleaning toilets with the world's smallest toothbrush for the rest of your miserable life."
    Werekitty39501
    Werekitty39501
    Admin

An old Mass Effect RP Featuring River and Zorah.  For the sake of getting an idea of Zorah's Character. Empty Third Page

Post by Werekitty39501 Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:12 am

Werekitty39501 wrote:Zorah stood there, in shock. She'd never seen ANYBODY stand up to the police, like that, and the Desk Sargent was looking suitably cowed.

"Ahem... I've got footage of the local gang's hideout, with them in it, bragging about the burglaries, and shots of the stolen items," Zorah explained handing the Sargent the data disk. "I've kept the original footage, in case that one gets 'lost'. If this gang isn't handled, I'm sure the Mayor would like to hear about how well the police force is dealing with the criminal element."
    Frith Ra wrote:The desk Sergeant looked like he pinned up against a wall, and staring down an angry dog. He finally took a deep breath and nodded. "Okay, okay. You win. I'll take the evidence to the case detective and have things put into motion. We'll take those guys into custody once we finish reviewing it. You don't need to bring this up with the Mayor."

River smiled with amusement as the Asari had managed to put the last bit of pressure needed to make the officer crack. "Smart move. I'd suggest you offer those gypsies a formal apology too. I think you owe it to them after how badly you treated them when they were falsely accused." The Sergeant nodded, not wanting to risk an argument with the tough blue-haired woman. "Yes ma'am. We'll find them and set things right. Don't worry."

Satisfied River turned to Zorah and nodded. "Looks like our work here is done then. Nice job." She grinned again and started to lead them back outside.
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"Wow," Zorah breathed, as they exited the building. "I never thought I'd ever get involved in something like that. Oh, and thank you! No idea what I'm going to do, now, though. I doubt that Romani family would welcome me back, even if I got their names cleared."

They walked through the square, Zorah occasionally pointing out landmarks, in passing.

"I don't, really, want to visit America, though," Zorah said. "I think I've exhausted the 'traveler' cultures of the Eastern Hemisphere, but I've never really wanted to visit America. Too crowded, too urbanized, too commercialized, too much like Illium. Great good Goddess, it IS Illium! With HUMANS! Well with MORE humans. There are a lot of humans, on Illium, nowadays. And some Quarians, and Turians, and Krogan, and... Hanar. Oh, Goddess, Hanar..."
    Frith Ra wrote:River chuckled noticeably, amused at how flustered the cute Asari seemed to be getting as her mind went off with realization she was having. "Slow down Zorah. You're going to overload yourself. You handled it pretty well, but I can tell you don't normally do things like that."

She looked further down the street in front and behind them, making sure they weren't either being tailed or about to run into any ugliness. "And yes, a lot of America is heavily commercialized. I should know, I was born there."
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"Wow. Really? What was it like?" Zorah asked curiously. "I've heard that the place is all paved over, and is a whole city from coast to coast."

Zorah seemed to be lost in thought about that particular fact, as they walked through town, then she noticed River looking around.

"Are you expecting those thugs to come and attack us? Should we leave?"
    Frith Ra wrote:"Sorry, I just don't drop my guard easily. They could come back, but at this point it seems a little unlikely. Still, old habits die hard." She readjusts her jacket and puts her hands in the pockets, walking along with no real heading. "As for America, a lot of it is paved over but there are some parts of it where nature is untouched. A lot of cities had to resort to building up more rather than expanding out. Lot of fear that if we expand too fast the planet will suffer for it. Not that we don't have a fair amount of colonies but when you consider the population on Earth that's a lot of people that would have to expand out."

She glances up towards the sky, seeing that the sun is getting ready to set. "So what will you do now? Doesn't sound like you have much of a plan."
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"Not... really," Zorah sighed. "I was expecting to be traveling with the Romani to the next town, and then... I didn't really know. I could probably go home, and write an awesome paper on the similarities between the treatment that the traveler cultures of the council species receive on their home planets, and how the Quarians are treated, but I don't really want to go home, either... Still a maiden, and not really ready to settle, as such..."
    Frith Ra wrote:"Hmm..." River started to ponder. She wasn't sure if what she had in mind right now was the best idea, but on the flipside she was getting tired of travelling alone, and maybe she could teach the Asari a thing or two to help her survive should she end up in another altercation like that. "Well then, why don't you come along with me? I travel all over, and I could probably teach you a thing or two so you're not quite so helpless next time a group of men are chasing you."
    Werekitty39501 wrote:Some people just seemed to have the ability to do a comical double-take, and Zorah was one of them. The look on her face was an amusing mix of caution, gratitude, and startled surprise.

"You... You want me to travel with you? That would be GREAT! But... would it be too much trouble? I can help with some stuff, I've got some technical expertise, to go along with the anthropology, I got a doctorate in Engineering, too. And that's helped me get along with a lot of the Romani... and got me discounts on travel, to be honest," she started babbling, then stopped herself, forcibly and took several deep breaths. "All right. Okay. Sure. I'd like that, a lot, thank you."
    Frith Ra wrote:The expression and shocked voice of the Asari couldn't help but make River chuckle once more. Zorah was certainly an interesting creature. Perhaps she'd make a good travelling companion for the next little while. "Good deal. Maybe you can help me so I can finally get off this rock. I bought a ship while I was in London, but it needs some work. Was considering just hiring someone at this rate but I'll tell you what. You help me get it working and with operating it, and I'll set you up as part of my crew. Long as you're travelling with me you'll get a proper bunk, food, and training. Taking part in my work however will be optional, but if there is trouble you'll need to listen closely to what I tell you. We agreed?"

River made a turn, changing their heading for someplace she knew, but she wasn't saying where just yet while she waited for a response from the Asari.
    Werekitty39501
    Werekitty39501
    Admin

An old Mass Effect RP Featuring River and Zorah.  For the sake of getting an idea of Zorah's Character. Empty Pages 4, 5

Post by Werekitty39501 Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:26 am

Werekitty39501 wrote:"That makes sense. And traveling around would probably give me the opportunity to further my studies, and a steady berth would allow me to write my paper, while I'm getting the training," Zorah said, following River's lead, noticing they were heading to the more "touristy" part of the town.

The Asari deviated from the course, since they were passing through the market, to buy the occasional souvenir, or a particular Spanish delicacy that would keep to.. where-ever-it-was they were going. Zorah was quite grateful for the fact that the Galactic Credit had been accepted as a universal currency. She'd hate to have to deal with the exchange rates that had existed on Earth, before they became a part of the Galactic community.

Zorah, quite frankly, found humans fascinating. Such diversity on one planet, it boggled the mind. And they all seemed so very DETERMINED to keep that diversity, in the face of their becoming a galactic species. It was amusing, amazing, and quite inspiring. Zorah wondered what cultures had been encouraged to... just assimilate when the other council species had discovered their caches of Prothian artifacts.

"Humans are amazing," Zorah said, seemingly at random, as she skipped, cheerfully, along with River.
    Frith Ra wrote:"Tch, yeah..." River thought to herself. "Until you realize how many people are lying, traitorous bastards..."

Still, she kept her cool and didn't say anything to that effect. "What makes you say that?" Her question came out as. Simple, effective, and not laced with the bitterness she had come to hold for many of her own species. She at last saw their destination in the distance, the hotel River was staying at. The Asari however probably didn't have a place to stay. Oh well, she'd cross that bridge when they came to it.
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"Earth, for example, is full of humans, and full of different languages, and cultures. And they're determined to stay that way. The Systems Alliance isn't doing anything to force a monoculture onto the planet, for the sake of galactic commerce, or simple ease of government," Zorah said, gesturing to the market, and area in general. "And I think each individual country and culture would resist, if they even tried."

Zorah looked thoughtful, and checked her basket for stuff that they may need if they wanted to skip touristy room service, and went to a drink seller, picking up a couple of bottles of the local soda.

"All the other council planets, at least as far as I've seen, seem to have a monoculture. I haven't been to non-council planets, but the Council Species seem to have developed monocultures after they gained inter-systems travel."
    Frith Ra wrote:"I suppose so. Humans can be stubborn like that." River said simply as they approached the door. She stopped and looked over to the Asari. "I'm going to assume you don't have a place to stay, so if you want you're welcome to share my room. My shuttle doesn't leave until tomorrow afternoon and I could easily get you a ticket on with me."

Part of her started to wonder why she was doing this. Normally she wasn't the most trusting of others these days, but something about this Asari was different. Maybe because she wasn't exactly human, she just seemed far too innocent to be a threat. Maybe because she was cute and god knows River had gone a long time without any kind of physical interaction. No, she wasn't going to let something that primal be the case. She just bailed her out of potential rape, it wouldn't be right to take sexual advantage of Zorah after that. Besides if they were going to travel together then there was no room for that. Better to remain professional.
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"You would assume correctly, since I had been staying in a traveling troupe," Zorah said with a smile. "And thank you, once again. You've been doing quite a lot for me, so I went ahead and got something for dinner. And I have to admit it's very nice to have somebody to talk to that I'm NOT studying."
    Frith Ra wrote:"I actually wouldn't mind letting her 'study' me." River thought to herself as she looked over the Asari's nimble frame. She blinked, realizing where her mind was going. "Oh god, I'm starting to sound like a total pervert..."

River resisted the overwhelming urge to facepalm over her own mental derailment, and quickly snapped her attention back to what Zorah had said and the food she was holding. "Thanks. And like I said, it's the least I could do. Couldn't just leave someone hanging on their own. Besides, I've been travelling on my own for awhile now. It'll be good to have someone around to talk to so I don't end up going out of my mind."
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"Fantastic! I'm glad we met, to be honest, even if the circumstances were a bit unusual," Zorah said with a happy smile. "Now maybe you can tell me more about you. I'm practically an open book, but you're still a mystery wrapped in an enigma, topped with lovely blue hair. And somewhat over-endowed, but that shall be the only time I give in to even mentioning that."

Zorah looked around the square, and noticed some of the adults going through the place were giving her some rather nasty looks. This, naturally, made the gaudily garbed Asari a touch nervous.

"Maybe we should go in, and have dinner, and discuss it there, hm? I'm getting several servings of hairy eyeball."
    Frith Ra wrote:"Yeah.." River said, noticing the looks. For some reason this was putting her on edge. It was as if some sixth sense was telling her trouble was brewing and she'd be caught in it if she didn't get moving. Damn if being an ex-soldier doesn't put a lot of caution into you. "Follow me. We'll talk once we get to my room. You'll be safer there."

The blue haired woman led Zorah inside and upstairs to the door of her room. Next to the door was a scanner pad. You had to love technology. Nearly every hotel these days that was smart had biometric locks. Not only did they provide extra security, but if anyone else attempted to use their hand their whole genetic readout was there for police. Naturally however there were ways around this if you were smart enough. Give a really smart kid an omnitool and some time, and he'll probably find a way to expose everything. River sighed a bit. She really was becoming too bitter and suspicious of every little detail. That's life though.

Once they inside the room River made sure to securely lock the door and tossed her jacket on one of the nearby chairs. She settled down on the couch, watching the Asari as she set up the meal for them. "So what did you want to know?" She asked casually.
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"Well... What lead you to being a mercenary? You act, and move like a lot of soldiers, or mercs... Yeah, Asari have a lot of retired mercs, so I know how they act," Zorah said opening one of the bottles of soda, and putting it on River's side of the table.

Zorah then sat down, her food in front of her, but obviously more than ready to listen.
    Frith Ra wrote:River was impressed, yet at the same time the Asari was skirting on a touchy subject. She'd have to think carefully about how to respond without sounding like a complete bitch about it.

"Yes, I was a soldier for awhile. Good observation. I became a Mercenary fairly recently after I left the Alliance. As for why... It's a rather long story, and not something I really like to talk about to be completely honest."
    Werekitty39501 wrote:Zorah tilted her head, took a bite of her food, and looked thoughtful about what River had said.

"Hmm. That suggests something bad happened," the asari said quietly, and nodded. "I'll change the subject, then. Maybe another time, for that story. Okay. Subject change: What brought you to Earth?"
    Frith Ra wrote:"Work mostly. "River admitted. "And the fact that I need my own ship to extend my reach. A lot of the good jobs are out in the border territories where all the pirate and merc gangs roam. While I too am a mercenary, I at least have morals. Not everyone seems to follow a solid moral code though. Nobility seems to be slowly dying away."

She sampled some of the food, mostly to be polite, but she wasn't feeling that particularly hungry. If anything what she wanted right now was a good stiff drink and some sleep before her trip tomorrow. But she'd stay up long enough to satisfy the Asari's curiosity and give her a spot to sleep.
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"So I guess you need an engineer more than an anthropologist," Zorah said with a touch of wry, she said as she ate ravenously. "Though, somebody who can study the culture of a place and keep you from insulting everybody in the Terminus Systems would be an asset."

Zorah finished her dish, obviously enjoying the savory flavors, and noticed that River wasn't eating all that much.

"Uhm... Are you going to eat that? I'm sorry if I seem greedy, but I haven't eaten all day, and I'm still a growing maiden."
    Frith Ra wrote:"No go ahead. I'm actually going to grab something." she said as she got up and headed over one of her suitcases. She opened up a side pocket and slide out a cylindrical container commonly used for storing alcoholic beverages. River was rather fond of these. Durable, stylish, and they keep the booze nice and sealed. She walked back over and twisted the cap, pouring some of the mysterious green liquid into an empty glass and resealing the container. As she sat back down she pulled the glass over and slammed the drink down expertly, shaking her head as she swallowed the intense drink. "That's better."

She looked over at the Asari who had just gone wide-eyed and chuckled. "Want one?"
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"Ah... no," Zorah replied, with a self depreciating smile. "Not unless you want me to make a fool of myself, and try to dance. That is something that should not be seen. Ever. Unless it's for comedic value."

Zorah, instead, gladly took River's portion of dinner, and ate it with gusto. She finished, and looked thoughtfully at River, who seemed a touch stunned by that small revelation.

"Yes, River, you have met the one, singular, solitary asari who has two left feet," the maiden said with obvious self depreciation. "There are probably more, but I bet they hide themselves away in shame."
    Frith Ra wrote:River shook her head a bit and set the glass down. One hard drink was enough. Any more and she'd probably do something stupid herself. "You probably could dance, you just need learn how."

She watched as the Asari ate River's portion of the meal, apparently ravenous. "I'm guessing you really haven't eaten much lately. Just don't give yourself a stomach ache. By the way, if you don't mind my asking, why is it you don't like large cities? I noticed you said you weren't fond of Illium and thus it deterred you from going to America."
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"Ugh. There's just no... real character to a lot of them. London, yes, but they've managed to keep a lot of the historical buildings and landmarks. Paris, same thing. A lot of cities, though... All steel, glass, and concrete. No real soul, or sense of history. The builders tore it down, plowed it under, and built atop, as if to fastidiously hide bad events," Zorah said miming the tearing down, and plowing under.

"No real sense of community, either, to be honest. They hide behind their doors and in their buildings, blaming crime, and gangs for the fact they don't get out and know their neighbors. It's... Kind of sad, really."
    Frith Ra wrote:River crossed her arms as she leaned back on the couch. "Sounds like you are quite knowledgeable. I do agree, it is sad that places like that have lost their spirit. It makes such crime even more prominent because the people don't work together. Though some people try to band together. But.. sometimes it doesn't work out."

At last she got up and wandered over to a wardrobe. "I only have the one bed." She said as she pulled out some blankets." So you can have the couch. It's comfortable enough." She walked over to the bed next, taking off one of the pillows and handing it along with the blankets over to Zorah.
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"Sounds good, to me," Zorah said, making up a servicable bed on the couch. "Bound to be better than sleeping on the ground, or in a moving truck. What time would you want to get up?" Zorah tapped on her Omni Tool, bringing up a time readout.

"I generally get up fairly early, but you're different, and may want to sleep in. I should get some clothes, and toiletries, before we leave, though... I left my bag with the Romani..."
    Frith Ra wrote:"In that case we should get up at a reasonable hour. I'll get us breakfast, you can get your supplies and by that point we'll be ready to come grab my things and head for the shuttle." River explained. It seemed like a sound enough plan. She just hoped it would go smoothly. It didn't look like this town was particularly fond of them at the moment. Well, mostly the Asari, but they would notice that River had now associated herself with Zorah so that would get her marked as well if anyone caused trouble. The faster she was out of there the better.

"But yeah, we should get some rest. We got a long day ahead tomorrow."
    Werekitty39501
    Werekitty39501
    Admin

An old Mass Effect RP Featuring River and Zorah.  For the sake of getting an idea of Zorah's Character. Empty Re: An old Mass Effect RP Featuring River and Zorah. For the sake of getting an idea of Zorah's Character.

Post by Werekitty39501 Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:50 am

Werekitty39501 wrote:That next morning, after breakfast, Zorah and River left the hotel, Zorah planning their stops strictly in the tourist section of town. The maiden's plan was to stay away from the inhabitants and the police as much as she can, because she was sure that a lot of the townspeople was going to be pretty upset with her.

Honestly, it wasn't her fault that their kids got involved in a gang. But people hate having their dirty laundry aired. Especially by an outsider.

"Sticking with the tourist shops. Bound to be expensive, but better than risking a confrontation," Zorah observed, as they began to walk down the street.

"'Ey, Zorah," A young man with an olive complexion, and long, curly black hair said. He was dressed fairly normally, but his clothes looked well traveled, and many of the merchants, even in this tourist-trap area of the town, were giving him distrustful looks.

"Carlo? I thought you and your family had left," Zorah uttered looking at the fellow in surprise.

"You left your bag," Carlo said, handing a heavy-looking backpack to the Asari. "Brought it back, so you could get out of town, quickly. Nobody like you clearin' our name, no? Tourist area won' even be safe, once the town decide to blame you for leadin' the boys astray."

"Oh, Goddess," Zorah groaned. "Why is it always 'blame the outsider'?"
    Frith Ra wrote:River sighed and shook her head. "As I suspected. We'll want to lay low until we get to the shuttle. Thanks for bringing her stuff, and for the warning. We appreciate it." She nodded respectfully to the young man and he nodded back. "Jus' watch yourself. Not that we don' appreciate the help, but this place is getting too risky." River glanced around, making sure there weren't any surprises nearby. "Believe me kid, I'm used to danger. Now you better get out of here before trouble sees fit to follow you."

Carlo apparently agreed and promptly took off, leaving River and Zorah there to decide what to do now. "Well.." River said. "You got your basics there in your bag. If you're wanting to get anything else on top of that best do it now. I'm going to see if I can't switch out our tickets for an earlier shuttle."
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"I think I'll come with you. Anything I can get here, I can get anywhere, and if folks see me leaving, they may be less inclined to try anything..." Zorah said, uncertainly. "Personally... I'd feel safer at the shuttle station."
    Frith Ra wrote:River nodded in agreement. "Then let's grab my stuff and get going since we're cutting our plans short."

The pair went back to the room to retrieve River's belongings, and while Zorah wasn't looking the blue-haired woman was sure to conceal a heavy pistol under her jacket in case of an ambush. "We'll do it your way, straight to the station taking the tourist roads. The crowds should provide enough cover for us but it might slow us down a little." River explained as she slung a backpack on and grabbed another bag.
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"Sounds good," Zorah said, rummaging through her own bag, and pulling out a small pistol, putting it in her waistband, and swinging on her backpack. "I'm still bound to stand out. I don't think many asari come to this part of the world... Or even this part of the galaxy."

The maiden looked thoughtful for a moment, then pulled off her backpack, and rummaged through it, pulling out a hoodie. She slipped out of her colorful shirt, wadded it up, and stuffed it into her pack, giving River a brief view of a lacy black bra and an expansive back tattoo of what looked like a biotic asian style dragon. Zorah then slipped on the hoodie, making sure of the gun in her waistband, and pulling the hood up over her head.

"There. If I keep my head down, I should pass as human, I hope."
    Frith Ra wrote:As she watched, River couldn't help but admire the tattoo work that covered her arms as well as her back. She was a little disappointed how brief it was when the hoodie went on, but the gun and disguise impressed her. This Asari knew a few tricks. "Good thinking. If you are noticed then at least you're armed. Let's get moving."

River lead them out of the building, keeping a sharp eye and signaling Zorah to follow closely. They made their way through the crowded streets of the city at a careful pace. If they went too fast they might draw attention to themselves. As they weaved through the tourists the minutes seemed to go by painfully. Why did this station have to be so far away?

Finally they seemed to be getting closer but River didn't drop her guard. She remained just as alert as she had been the entire trip, part of having a soldier's instincts. She looked over at Zorah, noticing she was trying very hard not to let her face be seen. She felt sorry for her. It was bad enough being another human on Earth sometimes, but being an Asari and treated with even more suspicion because you're not on one of your own worlds, that had to make travelling around here hard for her.

"We're almost there." River said reassuringly. "Just stick close."
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"Sticking close," Zorah said, quietly, keeping her hands in her pockets, and head down. She kept a look out for the police, and for townspeople in general. At least, now, she looked like a human tourist, rather than an asari tourist. It wasn't the best of disguises, but it should do, for the moment.

The maiden remembered River saying that humans are stubborn. T'Mallus guessed that extended to keeping hold of their prejudices. It was amusing, to be honest. Humans were just as stubborn about hanging on to their conspiracy theories and their old hatreds as any other species in the galaxy.

"Humans are amazing," Zorah said, this time with a touch of wry.
    Frith Ra wrote:At last the station was in sight and River picked up her pace a little. Keeping Zorah near they headed for the for the ticket center and got in line. The woman kept her eyes open though, until they were out of the city she wouldn't believe the asari was completely safe.

They managed to get through the line and exchange the tickets with little trouble, boarding the very next shuttle for London. As they took their seats River finally started to relax a little. "Almost out of here. Been awhile since I've had to escort someone out of a hot spot. Let's not make this a habit alright?"
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"I'll try not to, but I won't make any promises," Zorah replied, as she sat back in her seat, sighing in obvious relief. She was glad to have made it out, with little incident, but she wasn't about to say anything out loud.
    "So what's in London?"
    Frith Ra wrote:"Well for starters, the ship I bought and need to get finished up so it's flyable. I hope you know about ship maintenance or this could be a longer stay than I'd like. Between you and me, I've had my fill of Earth for a good long while."

River leaned back in her seat and made sure her restraints were secure as the stewardess went around making sure everything was set for take off. "Will be nice to not have to use public transportation everywhere."
    Werekitty39501 wrote:"Doesn't exactly look good for a merc to take public transit," Zorah observed, casually. "And you don't really have anyplace to store large scale luggage. And you can't bring heavy ordinance on public transit, either."

Zorah checked her straps, and settled in, using her omni tool to add to her notes on Romani, as they traveled. It shouldn't take too long, but still, any bit of work she could get done.

"If only I could get an interview with a Quarian... No way I'd ever get to visit the Flotilla, but to get a Quarian to talk about their culture would be great."

Frith Ra wrote:"Maybe one day we'll come across a Quarian you can interview. Never know in this galaxy." River said, trying to be reassuring. However she herself had her doubts. It was rare to find a Quarian outside the flotilla, though once in a blue moon you might catch a glimpse of one in passing.

The rest of the trip was largely uneventful, with River silent and deep in thought while Zorah compiled all her research together. At long last the sight of London could be seen from the window and River nudged the asari. "Hey, check it out. We've got a nice view up here."

Werekitty39501 wrote:Zorah sat up, looking out the window, admiring the view of a city that was a nice mix of old and new. Unlike a lot of the other cities on Earth, that seemed to want to bury their history, and confine it in museums.

"There's the clock with Big Ben, and the Palace, and the Tower," Zorah said identifying the landmarks. "Never mind some of the best toffee, best teas, very tasty cookies, and some interesting dishes. Oh, and curry! Mind you India had curry, but they seem to have perfected it, here."

Frith Ra wrote:River couldn't help but chuckle. Zorah was almost like a kid the way she got excited about cultures and history. It was nice to have the company though, even if she was a bit more energetic than River was used to. The shuttle finally landed and the passengers soon got off, spreading out in various directions from the station into the city. River liked it here in London. It was still a major city, but it had personality left to it. Sometimes the right mix can be a good thing.

River hailed a cab this time considering the distance to the shipyard where her acquisition was being held. Besides, it would give Zorah more scenic views to gawk over. Sure enough, the entire time the Asari kept pointing out interesting places and more local landmarks that she was familiar with the last time she was here. It intrigued River to a degree to see how much the Asari knew. In some ways she felt she knew more about humanity than she did, and she was probably right.

Werekitty39501 wrote:Some of the landmarks that Zorah pointed out had to do with music, especially human Rock and Roll music. Some of them had to do with literature, and history.

"Wow I remember a lot of stuff," Zorah said laughing at herself, and leaned back into her seat. "Though I'm glad I've got enough of Mom's guided investments to help me not get into financial trouble. I live in the interest. So I should be able to help with some of the ship parts."

Frith Ra wrote:River takes notice of the pattern of interests that Zorah seems to have as she points out the landmarks she knows. It was actually rather impressive how much this asari had learned, but then she probably started early on when humanity had just become a part of the galactic community. She could see the allure in wanting to learn about an entirely new species, especially one as diverse as humanity.

Zorah's taste in music however was what really caught River's attention. She seemed to have picked up quite a bit about rock music and it's history as she was pointing out places where famous bands had played. She wondered if the cab driver was getting annoyed by the asari's energetic, tourist-like nature. Still, knowing that she and Zorah shared at least a few common interests made things more comfortable for River. At least they would have things they could talk about as they traveled.

Finally the cab neared it's destination and the two passengers headed for the dock River's ship was being held at. It was a rather amazing sight, heading past all the different vessels of various designs. Most were human technology, but occasionally you might see one with more alien pieces to it. "We're getting close now." River said as they made yet another turn down the twisting pathways of the spaceport.

At last there it was, the ship River had saw so much potential in. While not the prettiest design ever, it's combination of human and turian design certainly made it unique if nothing else. Of course, one couldn't help but wonder if the Turian tech was because nothing else was available, or if the previous owner was just plain crazy. Nevertheless River hoped that Zorah would see what she did, or at the very least be able to tolerate it.

Werekitty39501 wrote:"Interesting. It appears like somebody was trying to merge Human and Turian tech. Were they trying to emulate the Normandy?" Zorah asked, curiously, as she approached the ship, and walked around it. "After all, it was one of the first ships with a combined design team, and somebody may have decided if one success was good, two or three or a fleet would be fan-freaking-tastic."

Zorah looked it over, and paused to activate her Omni Tool, and begin tapping out a list of parts and tools she may need.

"I'll probably get a call from Mom, unless she, as usual, thinks I live too frugally. But ANYWAY, they could have been trying to emulate the Normandy's combination of human and Turian tech because the ship's so bloody famous. It saved the Council and the Citadel from that huge squid-ship."

Frith Ra wrote:"Maybe... but frankly I'm not trying to compare it to Shepard's ship. After all, you're talking about a top of the line frigate lead by a spectre. We're much more small time, using a glorified salvager. But maybe we can make it into something better. After all, what's the point if you don't have a good challenge?"

She pondered over the ship more, as well as Zorah's words. It was possible someone got the idea from looking at the Normandy, but there was no way this ship even looked remotely like it. With as old as the original model was, the most they might have done is replace the main systems and add new life to it. But it was still nothing in comparison to a ship like that.

"Oh also, you don't have to worry about funding the majority of the repairs, I have a good amount of creds tucked away for that. I mostly need some experienced hands to help me out."

Werekitty39501 wrote:"Hey, I don't mind. I've got... a LOT of credits tucked away, and more every quarter," Zorah said. "If nothing else, I can buy top-of-the-line tools." She continued looking around the ship.

"Still it may be from Shepard's ship the guy drew his inspiration. Famous ship, with Turian and Terran design... The execution either lacked money or proper experience."

Frith Ra wrote:"Possibly, but it really looks nothing like it. Besides I'm not looking for it to be a Normandy clone. I want it to be something else entirely, something much more fitting for what I do."

She punched in her access key on the terminal and the docking bridge extended for them so they might enter the ship.

"That being said, I have no idea what to name her. Perhaps as we work on repairs we can figure that out. You'll have a say in what we should pick as you'll be helping me get her going again."

Werekitty39501 wrote:"Well I guess we'd better get to work," Zorah said, wandering to the engine room. "Can't know what to get, until I know what's wrong." She spent most of the rest of the day examining the ship, and finding out what was needed and ordering both the tools and the parts.

Frith Ra wrote:Time went on, though it took a little longer than River was hoping for them to fix the ship. Days wound up becoming weeks as more and more technical hitches were found that further complicated matters. It almost made you wish for a musical montage to speed up the process.

At last they were almost done. This was their last day, and all they really needed to do was completely calibrate the systems and do a test fire of the engines. Once everything was in the green they could commence flight and get off of Earth for a while. Of course there was still one small problem they hadn't been able to settle on. A name for the ship.

River headed over to the bridge where Zorah was busy setting up the primary control functions. "So.. any thoughts on a name yet?" she asked as she took a seat in the pilot's chair and started her diagnostics.

Frith Ra wrote:"The problem is that all the GOOD names tend to already be in use," Zorah said, as she did her set of diagnostics. "All the martial themes, if not in use by the Turians, are in use by the Terrans."

She checked her figures against the ones she had in her omni tool, nodded, and checked out some others.

"Earth City names, taken by the Systems Alliance fleet; weapons, armor, Roman army formations and ranks, taken. Uh... Yes I'm sticking to the theme because you're a mercenary, and would want something that says 'I'm tough'. I mean you couldn't call the ship something like the 'Fancy Free', or something silly like 'My Little Dividend' or 'Twilight Sparkle' unless you were a cargo hauler."

Zorah blinked then laughed.

"We couldn't use 'My Little Dividend', anyway. My mother has used that one for a cargo hauler she invested in."

Frith Ra wrote:River shook her head, so far the suggestions weren't anything she was looking for. "Can we be a little more serious? I mean really... 'Twilight Sparkle'? That's hardly a name that's going to make anyone concerned when they hear it. I want something that the other merc's who engage in more questionable activities know that it means they've got trouble. Like... Blackstar Lance or something. I don't really know.. I've been having a hard time with names."

Werekitty39501 wrote:"'Blackstar Lance' is taken," Zorah said, tapping her omni-tool, then switching it back to her diagnostic program, making sure that the control systems were working perfectly.

"Uhm... I've got the galaxy-wide ships registry on the 'Tool... It's really hard to find one that isn't in use. I did check 'Pirates' Scourge', and it wasn't taken, but I didn't think you'd like it."

Frith Ra wrote:"It's at least closer to the neighborhood I'm looking for. Still, this is tricky."

She took some time to really ponder a good suggestion as she continued, letting Zorah browse around registered ship names.

"Try... Pathfinder, or Red Horizon."

Werekitty39501 wrote:Zorah finished up the final checks, then switched to the ships' registry.

"Pathfinder is taken by an exploration vessel... Red Horizon... Taken by Mars Terraforming Incorporated... Earth terraformed Mars, huh? Cool. Okay... Next up," Zorah said looking over at River. "BLUE Horizon... Taken by... Mom. Yay."

Frith Ra wrote:River let out a disappointed sigh. So far this was proving to be a real nightmare. Any name she came up with was taken. It was hard to be unique when the galaxy was full of ships whose captains had come up with just about every name imaginable.

Finally one hit her, she couldn't believe she didn't think of it before. Hopefully this one wouldn't be taken, and it would be fitting. "Durandal. Look that one up."

Werekitty39501 wrote:"Okay... 'Durandal'... Doesn't look like it was taken. It was, but it's just been removed. Looks like the old ship was sold, and now the name's free again... What's a 'Durandal'?" Zorah said, then tapped the tool to look up the name. "That sound strangely famili-- You want to name the ship after the sword of a hero of the Holy Roman Empire?"

Frith Ra wrote:"It's unique, it's the name of a sword people became very familiar with and learned to respect. I don't see a problem with it. It sends the right kind of message as far as I can tell." River said glancing over at Zorah. "What you think? Good enough name?"

Werekitty39501 wrote:Zorah tapped the omni-tool, and then clicked through some readings on the controls.

"There. Done. And it's better than anything I've come up with. I tended to go for the absurd," Zorah replied, the systems coming into line, and calibrating properly. "And we should be able to take her up at any time you want."

Zorah double-checked the systems, quickly, before confirming.

"Yup. She's all ready for a test flight."

Frith Ra wrote:With a nod and a few quick adjustments, the ship's systems were showing green lights for launch. "Looks like we're all set. Hang on your head tentacles."

River initiated the engines and felt the rumble as the ship sprang to life. After releasing the docking clamps she carefully guided her newly refurbished vessel out of the shipyards. Nice and easy would be safest with the first flight, she'd have a chance to run it through it's paces out in space.

Durandal shook as it made it's departure, it was almost uneasy at first for both of them. They knew it was ready to fly, but as with testing anything this large scale there were always risks. So far despite the shakes, it was handling surprisingly well. Once they were clear of the structure, River guided them upwards. Until the ship broke atmosphere, they weren't out yet.

Werekitty39501 wrote:Zorah gripped her armrests, hoping that her repairs will hold up. She knew she had done a good job, but... Sometimes the unexpected happened.

"You know... If they were tenticals I'd be able to do cool stuff with them," Zorah observed, as they flew toward the sky. "I've never been able to, and as far as I've been able to tell, they're more like fleshy hair, than anything else."

Aside from that statement, she was silent, obviously listening for telltale noises that could indicate something going drastically wrong.

Frith Ra wrote:The shaking only seemed to get worse as they entered the atmosphere, but so far it was holding up. The tension however seemed to make the whole ordeal last much longer than it actually was taking. Thankfully, they broke atmosphere and made it into the vastness of space unscathed. River grinned widely. At last, she was free. Free to explore, to take control, and more importantly to chase down any leads she could find on the betrayer. Which reminded her, she'd have to come clean with Zorah eventually. Especially if she wound up putting her in that kind of danger. Damn it if it didn't suck having to be the honorable person sometimes.

"Well, looks like we had a smooth enough run. Didn't notice anything wrong. I'd say our work has paid off don't you think?"

She glanced over towards Zorah, but not for long. She was still weighing things in her mind. Was it better to tell her now? It was hard to say for sure.

Werekitty39501 wrote:"YES! Need to see what's causing that shaking, but aside from that we're good," Zorah said with a grin. "I should go and see if anything's been shaken loose."

Zorah looked thoughtful. "It could be the stabilizers are still a touch rough, but they passed every test I put them through. Also all the custom work that was done could have something to do with it."

Frith Ra wrote:River sighed, her mind deciding it was better to be safe than risk an episode later on. "Possible. Anyways when you're done I'll be in my quarters. We'll need to discuss some things before we get underway."

With those words River set the ship on autopilot to head out away from Earth and towards the Mass Relay. It would take some time, but she wasn't in a rush. Rising from her seat she headed towards the room that would be considered the Captain's Quarters, but really River didn't feel like much of a captain yet. After all she needed to form a proper crew for that, not just her and some cute little Asari she picked up.

Werekitty39501 wrote:Zorah watched River leave, and then went to the Engine Room, then Engineering itself, looking for anything that may have shaken loose, or become detached, unplugged, or something similar.

After carefully checking things over, and discovering her updates had kept things in place, she checked the engines. She noted in her Omni-Tool that the engine could use some more stabilizers, which may cut down on atmospheric vibration, but aside from that there was nothing she could see to do.

Zorah then went to the Captain's Quarters, and beeped the chime.

"You wanted to talk to me, River?" Zorah asked, waiting polity outside the door.

Frith Ra wrote:The door whooshes open, allowing Zorah entrance. As the young Asari steps in she finds the room would have been partially decorated in River's spare time. It was a good size room too, bigger than normal military captain's quarters, but that wasn't surprising considering the base model of the ship was civilian design more so than military. The turian additions are what gave it any real combat prowess to begin with.

River herself is seen finishing a set of pull ups on a bar she installed in the wall. As she lowers herself down and grabs a nearby towel to wipe the sweat from her brow, she turns to Zorah and nods, panting a little for breath. "Yes, I did. Have a seat. I need to fill you in on a couple things."

Werekitty39501 wrote:"'Fill me in on a few things'," Zorah repeated. "Okaaaay. I already knew you were a merc, and the work was probably going to be dangerous. Why do I think there's more to it?"

Zorah sat down in a nearby chair, looking at River, curiously.

Frith Ra wrote:There was another small sigh. "There is." River said bluntly. "I haven't always been a merc." She headed over to the foot of her bed and took a seat, looking over at Zorah. "I'm ex-Alliance. I was part of a special unit, mostly biotics, until most of us got wiped out. It's a bit of a long story. You prepared for it?"

Werekitty39501 wrote:Zorah brought up the nav comp on her Omni-Tool.

"Well we've got plenty of time before we reach the Mass Relay. And you're talking to an anthropologist. I've seen both the best and the worst that the Council Species have done to each other, and to other sentients, as a part of my research," Zorah said in a matter-of-fact tone. "We may call ourselves 'civilized' but it's only just a thin veneer."

Frith Ra wrote:With a deep breath, River began to tell her story.

"It started back when I was just a kid. I fell in with one of Earth's many street gangs, but it wasn't your usual punks. We were information runners. We got paid to get sensitive information from one place to another without drawing police attention. Our gang was one of the best at it too. We were called Phoenix Fire, named so after our leader, Arielle Phoenix."

River headed over to a small fridge she kept in the room and pulled out a beer, popping it open and taking a drink. Good old fashioned human brew. Sometimes it was better to go with the classics than the exotic alien stuff. With the drink in hand she continued. "We were a tight-knit group. But there was a false job that got us caught by officials. It seemed like our time was up after the sting operation. But then something unexpected happened. We got offered a choice. We could either serve our time for our crimes, or sign up for a special biotic program and earn our pardon serving with the Alliance. Most of us accepted the offer, some however hated the Alliance enough to choose prison. A couple attempted to escape, but they didn't get far."

She glanced over out the window into the void. "It actually wasn't so bad being part of the Alliance. Me and Ari were especially good at it. She and I ran the gang, so we got placed in charge of the unit which retained the name of the gang. We built up a nice reputation for being capable of doing the job when other units failed. People knew that once we got sent in, that was all she wrote. But there was a coup..."

"There was this guy, Krillo Steele, he apparently decided he had enough and sold us out to the batarian raiding party we were being sent to stop. They knew exactly where to hit us, it was a massacre. Nearly everyone was wiped out. Only myself and one other survived. And as for Ari... that bastard was the one that shot her down, and I had to watch her die in my arms."

River forced back the emotion that was starting to surge through her. "I lost a lot that day, and I swore that I would track down Krillo and kill him for what he did to Ari and the others. That is why I left the Alliance and went freelance. I'm hoping to track down any leads on him I can find, and get my revenge."

Werekitty39501 wrote:Zorah looked thoughtful, as she processed this information.

"Well if he's on the run from the Alliance, he'll be in the the Attican Traverse or the Terminus," she mused, then tilted her head. "Could have fallen in with the merc bands, out there, like the Eclipse, the Blue Suns... The Blood Pack wouldn't take him, because they only like Krogan and Vorcha. Or could have joined up with the pirates, out there, too."

Zorah sat there looking thoughtful, as she process the story that River had told her.

"You and Ari... You were close, weren't you? I'm talking about 'best friend' close, but... You were in love with her, weren't you?"

Frith Ra wrote:River headed over in front of the window while Zorah processed the story in her mind. When she finally asked the obvious question, River was silent at first but eventually responded. "Yes.. we were together. She was everything to me. My mother and I never got along. I was nothing more than a risk to her political status. She tried to bury my activity, but I'd be willing to bet she had something to do with the sting on the gang. Ari.. she accepted me. When I rose through the rank she took me under her wing. I wasn't just her second in command, we were partners for life. We promised we'd always be there for each other. Then Krillo took her away from me.."

She turned, fighting back the tears in her angered eyes. "I loved her more than anything else. When I find Krillo, that son of a bitch is going to suffer for what he did! I will break every bone in his body and then some!" She shook visibly, the memories tormenting her. But at last she tore herself away and slammed her fist against the wall. While it might not have been the smartest thing to do, it unleashed enough of her rage to allow her to start to calm down. She breathed deeply, bringing herself back to a more reasonable level. "I'm sorry... I just.. now you know. I figured it was better to tell you now than you finding out later and being angered and confused at what the hell was going on."

Werekitty39501 wrote:"Well... Thanks. Just as long as I don't have to see you going all rage-face on this Krillo guy, I should be good. I know you think I'm cute, but I doubt that would last at seeing me puke my guts up at you're dancing in this guy's entrails," Zorah said with a self-depreciating grin.

Frith Ra wrote:River couldn't help but chuckle slightly at Zorah's remark. "When the time comes, I intend to face him alone. So you should be spared that sight. Besides, some things a person has to settle on their own. You're welcome to travel with me as long as you want. But once we find Krillo, I'd advise staying out of my way."

She downed the rest of her drink, giving her time to focus her mind on other matters. "Now then, with that unpleasantness out of the way, I suppose we need to decide where to go. Your insight seems sound. Krillo is probably outside of Citadel space. Therefore the Terminus would be a logical place to start searching."

Werekitty39501 wrote:"Guess that's here we're going," Zorah said bringing up the nav-comp again, using it to set the course, and double checking it. "There we go. Where in the Terminus do you want to go? There's always... Is Omega in the Terminus, or the Traverse? I always get those two mixed up."
    Frith Ra wrote:"Omega is in the Terminus." River confirmed. "But it's also not the best place to go wandering around. I think we should hold off on that until we have some more solid leads. I have an old contact or two, I could put out some feelers and try to find out what kind of activity they've spotted. With luck I'll get us a location to start our search." River grabbed her jacket and threw it on, heading towards the door. "Come on, we'll go see what we can find."

With that the pair made their way towards the Terminus systems, with River searching through her old contacts for leads. In time they find a place to start, and thus the adventure continues.

Sponsored content

An old Mass Effect RP Featuring River and Zorah.  For the sake of getting an idea of Zorah's Character. Empty Re: An old Mass Effect RP Featuring River and Zorah. For the sake of getting an idea of Zorah's Character.

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:53 pm