The Multiversal Role Play Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Multiversal Role Play Forum

A forum where everyone can role play in whatever universe they wish. One can even make up their own universe, and invite others to play in it.

4 posters

Zombies. Except not lame zombies.

StormRebel
    StormRebel

Zombies. Except not lame zombies. Empty Zombies. Except not lame zombies.

Post by StormRebel Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Zombies are fun, overused, but fun. I think if we put our minds to it, we can think of a good setting to toss zombies into (i.e. making up an original zombie setting). I think the easiest way to do this would be if I set up requirements, and we fill in the blanks of what we want in that apocalypse. Zombies should really be a backdrop for character development, as more often then not, the real villain is the human race, as they're probably the jerks that started the whole apocalypse.

1. Setting! Perhaps the most important part. Setting defines (in most cases) who our characters are, how many zombies there are, how big of an outbreak there was, and possibly the eventual main antagonist if there is one. A lot of zombie apoc's start in sensible places, like East Coast or West Coast America, Russia, Germany, and places like that, because there's a high population and generally a lot of guns and weaponry. So our setting could be in one of those locations, or somewhere a tad more challanging, like the cold of Alaska, or other snowy places. Or perhaps Canada, where guns aren't as abundant (I did have a Canadian friend who always said that if there was a zombie apocalypse, all the Canadians would just go north! Zombies would freeze to death.)

2. Zombies! Second, or maybe first, most important part. Should we just go with the stock clambering zombie, with a slight twist, or something different. In a different thread Stormwarden talked about a 'Venom Apocalypse', however I'm not really a Marvel kinda guy, but the idea in general could be entertaining in a more realistic form. Or something like the new game The Last of Us (made me cry) where there's an airborne infection.

3. Style. Style as in, how should we roleplay it? Should we just do basic forum RP, where we post what are characters are doing in turns, or should we do it in a sort of D&D Fashion where we have a Dungeon Master who rolls a d20 to decide on things (I could do this, as I know how if no one else wants to). Or perhaps a dumbed down D&D, where each character does indeed have skill points, but instead of a game of chance with a die, the DM has you pass a skill check (Think: Fallout or Skyrim style speech checks. If you have 8/10 Strength, your chances of Intimidation are much higher.)

4. Optional setting. This last part is rather optional, as it'll more define where our characters start. An army base, a school (Think: Highschool of the Dead, so much fanservice in that anime.), or another place where our characters have more of a reason to stick together, and perhaps knowledge of who each other are before the apocalypse. This can have pros and cons, being that some of our characters might have set rivalries or friendships, however won't have the character development of meeting a new person, unless someone wants to have their character come from a different location, or joins later in the story.

If I missed any important parts, do let me know and I'll add them in. I've tried to keep this as simple as possible, so that we can plan it out quickly and get down to the RP. If it becomes something more folks'll want to do, we can add things to the setting later down the road. Sooner we fill in the blanks and all agree on it, we can RP this!
    A Pesky Alien
    A Pesky Alien

Zombies. Except not lame zombies. Empty Re: Zombies. Except not lame zombies.

Post by A Pesky Alien Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:59 pm

I actually have a zombie roleplaying tabletop game.  I also have a much simpler skirmish styled roleplaying game.  The roleplaying game uses a percentage system.  We could do that. Plus I am going to repost my thread from the last website up here tomorrow.
    Stormwarden

Post by Stormwarden Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:38 am

I do like the idea of a zombie apoc game. d20 could have done better in its modern setting. I am intrigued by the idea of High School of the Dead. I'd like to see how it would be handled in the West rather than in Japan. Could be very interesting.
    StormRebel
    StormRebel

Post by StormRebel Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:57 am

Stormwarden wrote:I do like the idea of a zombie apoc game. d20 could have done better in its modern setting. I am intrigued by the idea of High School of the Dead. I'd like to see how it would be handled in the West rather than in Japan. Could be very interesting.

Seriously, that one lady's breasts did the matrix in that show.
    Werekitty39501
    Werekitty39501
    Admin

Post by Werekitty39501 Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:38 pm

Believe it or not there's a role playing game widgit on this forum. With character sheets and everything.
    StormRebel
    StormRebel

Post by StormRebel Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Werekitty39501 wrote:Believe it or not there's a role playing game widgit on this forum.  With character sheets and everything.

Oh? How does that work?
    Stormwarden

Post by Stormwarden Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:14 pm

That..is relevant to my interests. Tell me more.
    Werekitty39501
    Werekitty39501
    Admin

Post by Werekitty39501 Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:51 pm

I'm not quite sure, but I found it in the widgits, trying to find something akin to a shout box.

Who's the GM for this shindig?
    StormRebel
    StormRebel

Post by StormRebel Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:35 am

I figured if we'd be doing a system where there's a dungeon master (or game master or the like) I'd do it.
    Stormwarden

Post by Stormwarden Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:49 am

What kind of high school should it be? Should it be a private school, in which the students and teachers trapped within have to rely on their wits and skills to survive? Or would it be something akin to an inner-city public school right smack dab in the epicenter of the infestation? The high school can take almost any form.
    StormRebel
    StormRebel

Post by StormRebel Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:02 am

Stormwarden wrote:What kind of high school should it be? Should it be a private school, in which the students and teachers trapped within have to rely on their wits and skills to survive? Or would it be something akin to an inner-city public school right smack dab in the epicenter of the infestation? The high school can take almost any form.

So we are going with the high school, then, eh? Well, I'd imagine that it wouldn't focus primarily around the one school.. unless RP led it to where the school is their home base or something. My personal preference on the ideas you listed would probably be an inner-city school, as that'd give a lot to work with, and a seemingly endless supply of zombies.. As for it being private or not, I'm not sure. If it was private, the amount of infected inside the school at first would certainly be lower, I'd think, and higher if it was a public school. Unless we say our characters are all part of some after school program like a band, ROTC, or something.
    Stormwarden

Post by Stormwarden Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:43 am

^Yeah. The truth is, supplies run out, power and other infrastructure vanishes eventually, and sooner or later, they'll have to scrounge for supplies and weapons. Somehow, I don't think those weaksauce bows they practice with in high school will cut it. And of course, there's the matter of escape, if that even becomes an option.
    StormRebel
    StormRebel

Post by StormRebel Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:00 am

I suppose it depends what city it's in, and what's near the school. As I mentioned in my original post, different parts of the world have different ammounts of weaponry.
    Stormwarden

Post by Stormwarden Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:23 am

Hmm...settings...would be something if it was in the Bible Belt. But somewhere with stricter gun laws can always be fun. You mentioned Canada or Alaska before, IIRC. More unforgiving environs can always be fun. Maybe even a trip to the desert..
    StormRebel
    StormRebel

Post by StormRebel Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:06 am

Desert could be interesting. I lean more towards snowy areas, though, myself.
    Stormwarden

Post by Stormwarden Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:23 pm

I'm willing to roll with snow. So probably Montana or further north. Heck, it can also be Colorado. So..US or Canada?If US, what state? If Canada, what province?
    StormRebel
    StormRebel

Post by StormRebel Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:40 am

Canada has provinces? Okay, I knew that, but I don't know what any of them are. Sort of foggy on the exact positioning of our Northern states, to.. I'm a southern person.
    Werekitty39501
    Werekitty39501
    Admin

Post by Werekitty39501 Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:24 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This help?

Though the one RP I did with Alien, and Frith was in Colorado, right on the Utah border.  Why Utah?  Their armageddon preparation stores.  I saw then on "[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]". They focused on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], who had a lot of nifty stuff, including first aid, and assorted other items. Their website shows just how MUCH amazing stuff they have. Sure, they would have probably been raided, first, but hey, not all of them could have, possibly.

Last edited by Werekitty39501 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
    Stormwarden

Post by Stormwarden Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:36 am

Montana, Michigan, the Dakotas, Wyoming, Minnesota, Washington State (known more for rain) and Alaska. Of course, higher elevations can also bring a lot of snow, primarily in the Sierra Nevada, the Shasta mountain range, and the Appalachian trail, so no shortage of options. I think Colorado would be a good spot, as it's known for it's snow, and has several military bases high school students might consider running to.

OTOH, for isolation, you can't beat Alaska. Thing is, I'd think the undead would freeze in the thick winters. But who says we have to follow zombie convention?

And like an idiot, I forgot all about the NE states and Oregon. Maine has been the setting of many a Stephen King novel, and could be great for a zombie plague as well.
    StormRebel
    StormRebel

Post by StormRebel Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:54 am

Thanks, Kitty, that's quite useful. I also quite like that show, to. And, yeah, I think if we made it too isolated and snowy, we'd have to rethink the inner-city school thing. I believe Kitty's idea of Utah could work, and I believe Stormwarden, you mentioned you'd be interested in a trip to a desert? If I'm not mistaken, the center of the USA has a couple of those.
    Stormwarden

Post by Stormwarden Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:13 am

Your best bet would be in Utah, Arizona, or Nevada. As Werekitty pointed out, though, Utah's not a bad place to go for.
    StormRebel
    StormRebel

Post by StormRebel Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:42 pm

I actually know quite a bit about Nevada.. Half because that's where Roswell is, Fallout: New Vegas was set, and a number of other things I like were at. You got any personal preferences out of those 3, Stormwarden?
    Stormwarden

Post by Stormwarden Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:34 pm

I say we roll with Nevada. It has a host of different terrains, and if the group needs to travel, the desert will keep it interesting.
    StormRebel
    StormRebel

Post by StormRebel Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:25 pm

Alright. Well, most notably in Nevada is Las Vegas. Further north, I believe there's a National Park.. totally West of that is Reno, too. Carson City's south of that. Also notable is the Grand Canyon with Zion Park (I think that was actually a New Vegas DLC, to..)
    Werekitty39501
    Werekitty39501
    Admin

Zombies. Except not lame zombies. Empty And this is why we use the planning section. :D

Post by Werekitty39501 Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:29 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Research is useful for getting things right. And look, there's Goodsprings, where you start out in New Vegas. They actually used the actual town as inspiration for the buildings, too.

Last edited by Werekitty39501 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:01 pm