The Multiversal Role Play Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Multiversal Role Play Forum

A forum where everyone can role play in whatever universe they wish. One can even make up their own universe, and invite others to play in it.

Custom RP Campaign: Unnamed Alternate Future

Frith Ra
    Frith Ra

Custom RP Campaign: Unnamed Alternate Future Empty Custom RP Campaign: Unnamed Alternate Future

Post by Frith Ra Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:44 pm

Greetings everyone. I know I've been kinda entirely absent from these forums for awhile, but I'm finally making my way back round. This time I have a plan for a custom RP using a setting of my own design. This is largely because there is a very specific character I want to play that is virtually impossible to play in most settings purely due to his race. This would be Frith Ra himself, the character that reflects my online name. Now what is this setting I'm talking about? Well simply put, it's an alternate future of Earth and our galaxy. What makes it so different is that it supports a special race and has a fairly plausible story. It's still Science Fiction by all accounts though. Over time I'm going to be posting details on the history of the setting, the main governmental faction, and areas that are open to creative input from anyone. There are only so many things I ever developed with significant detail. That's one of the reason why I've never gotten around to fully writing this story. But opening it up to RP might prove interesting and help me flesh out that universe more. Plus this way everyone gets to add a little piece to it, making it more of a story developed by our crazy little circle of friends. Razz

To make this flow better, I'm going to arrange the information in a Q&A of likely questions and the best answers I can provide. This will give everyone a general idea of what I'm going for and to work out initial character concepts. More details will come.

Q: So what is this alternate future RP and why is it unnamed?

A: As I said this is an original storyline I've had in my mind for years, and have added bits to it overtime. While the RP will not follow the actual story I plan to write, it will feature the universe as I've developed it so far. The concept is one of I've dubbed "Story of the Wolf" which has been my placeholder title since it's inception. The story itself focused around Frith, but the universe he's in is an alternate future of what's happened on Earth and our expansion into the galaxy. Here is the basic version of what's happened.

Humanity started another world war over territories in order to shift the control of important natural resources. A project to create enhanced soldiers spawned in the process that involved splicing DNA strands of other animal species with humans in order to increase strength, perception, or even intelligence. The experiment failed, creating a mutagen that caused an epidemic. The initial creatures spawned from this mutagen destroyed the lab and escaped. It went airborne and started to affect much of the surrounding population. Over time, almost half of the human population was mutated, and humanity feared they would all soon become monsters. The war changed from control of resources to combating the new animalistic mutants known as Beastials. However even though these victims had effectively been turned into anthropomorphic animals, many of them still retained their minds. The more "feral" ones were either put down or treated by their fellow kind and able to regain their sanity. Many of the beastials united together when humanity began a campaign to hunt them down, fearing that the beastials were going to destroy them. Negotiations proved to be largely useless, and so the Beastials had no choice but to fight back. Though careful coordination they eventually won the war by capturing the human leadership and forcing them to negotiate the terms for peace.

With the war now finally over, humanity and beastials alike started to look at the aftermath and realize how close they came to completely destroying their world. Though tensions were still high, they started working together to rebuild and establish a better society. The new ruling government consisted of representatives the fully united human race and beastials alike. Combining their resources they continued development on spacefaring technology and began to establish colonies on other worlds. Eventually they reached another nearby solar system with an earth-like planet that had no advanced ruling species. The Beastials made it a priority to colonize this world and it came to be established as their new home planet. Humanity took dominant control of Earth once more, but both races remained united under newly renamed government faction known as the Interspecies Galactic Alliance.

It is now roughly 300 years after the war. The Beastial homeworld, called Elaria, has grown more populated with it's capital city being a symbol to beastials everywhere. Many Beastials as a result now prefer to be called Elarians, though Beastial is still considered the technical term. Technology has become increasingly advanced. Most forms of transportation involve flying. Holographic interfaces are common. It's more or less on the same technological level as Mass Effect. Most weapons still fire projectile-based rounds though. Some energy weapons have come out in prototype phases, held by a few major companies. Some IGA units are even field testing these. Ships have Warp Drives. Piracy exists out in the border colonies. Though no contact has been made with any other advanced species as of yet.

Q: What are Beastials exactly?

A: Simply put, Beastials are the result of humans becoming mutated by the experimental mutagen referred to as the Feral Strand. It transformed them into all manner of anthropomorphic animal subspecies including but not limited to canines, felines, equines, and other mammalian species. A list of approved subspecies will be released in due time, as I'm still working out what ones I'm willing to allow and which ones likely wouldn't have worked with the Feral Strand.

Q: Furries?! Kill it with fire!

A: =_= Nobody is saying you -have- to play a Beastial. Remember that humanity has a very large role in this universe as well. While most of them are found on Earth, you'll still encounter many of them throughout the galaxy, even on Elaria. They are there to provide variety and a unique twist to the story. Whatever your personal views may be on furries or the furry fandom, leave it out of this. I tailored the species to look like furries while still being it's own thing.

Q: Why is it only Humans and Beastials? Where are my space raptors? Or stereotypical sexy race that everyone wants to sleep with?

A: 1.) Because I haven't really tried coming up with any kind of custom race yet. That requires some inspiration and a buttload of planning and design work. 2.) If I were to add custom races, I'd want them to be something interesting, not a rehash of something out of another universe. There may come a time where such a thing will happen but it won't be right now.

Q: So what can my character be in the story?

A: Virtually anything. If you're looking to be a soldier, then the IGA is the way to go. Or you could go freelance and becoming a mercenary or pirate. If you don't want to be involved in combat you can be something else. A bartender, scientist, engineer, whatever you like. There is likely going to be more than one scenario put forth for this universe. While I'm going to guide the initial one to get people familiar with how it operates, it would not be impossible for people to come up with other RPs to happen as well. Remember I'm putting this out there as a unique universe for roleplay, not a linear storyline.

Q: Are there any limitations we should be aware of?

A: Yes there will be. Right now nobody will be able to play as the head of a corporation or faction. I may open things up so there can be a player corporation later on, but that depends on the level of interest and effort shown into coming up with one that's interesting and ties in with the setting well. For now these individuals are best left as NPCs. I also want to note that while Beastials can be a degree stronger or faster than a normal human, they are not superpowered badasses! If I see you RPing a Beastial outside the realm of probability, I will tell you so. If you purposely try to be OP, then we'll have problems. I really don't want to have to revoke anyone's character so be reasonable.

There can be a few exceptions to the faction rule if you're running something small like a merc team or pirate band. But anything that's more than maybe 5 or 6 people officially working together needs explicit approval. When the time comes, I'll have a form for that.

Q: This sounds interesting. What's going to be the first scenario?

A: I'm still working that out right now. I'm doing a little private RP to lead up to it and get Frith and some initial characters prepared for it. I recommend having a character in mind that could handle a combat situation, or if not be smart enough to get behind the friendly people who also have guns. Again, more details will come as I get closer to being ready to start this. Right now it's in a planning phase, and this post is to gauge the interest of the rest of you.

So really that's all I can think to share right this moment. I'll have other posts coming up later in the week to share more details. How interested are you guys in something like this?

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:08 am